Monday, November 17, 2008

My Saturday...

This past Saturday I wanted to be ambitious and get a lot of stuff done around the house, namely things that both Andy and I have been putting off, because neither one of us wanted to do them and we were both hoping that the other would get to it. :) The biggest of those being our deep freezer. Andy insisted that I blog about this, even though I think it's disgusting and won't do the incident justice by trying to write about it.

A few months ago, I believe it was in June, our garage started stinking one day. We couldn't figure out what it was. The next day it was really stinking, like gag-you stinking. It smelled like something had died in there. We were pulling into the garage that day and I noticed that the light on the bottom corner of the freezer was turned off. That's when we figured out our smell...Andy went and opened it up and just imagine opening a freezer with about 40 pounds of thawed, raw meat, fish included. Andy was the brave one and cleaned out all of it, however, we had no idea how to dump out the 2 inches of blood that had settled into the bottom of the freezer (our freezer is bolted into Andy's workbench, so you can't move it out). Well, we had plans that night, so we just turned the freezer back on so that the blood would freeze and not stink and we would take care of the when we got a chance.

Well both of us had put it off until Saturday. Friday night I decided that I was going to get it done! I unplugged the freezer, so that it would start to thaw, and got geared up mentally for the next day! :)

When I opened up the freezer Saturday morning, it still hadn't completely thawed, there were big blood blocks in it, so I pounded on those with a stick to try to break them up. I cleaned out my car while it continued to thaw. As it started to thaw, the flies came in, like hundreds of flies, so gross. When I was done cleaning my car, the freezer had basically all thawed out, except for a few big pieces. I got the brillant idea that I would wet vac out all of the nastiness. We have this little two gallon wet vac, which is very handy. You can lift it and move it around, it's not too big to handle. I cranked up that thing and started to suck out all of the blood. It was working pretty good, except some of the big ice chunks would get stuck. I got a bucket for them and as they got attached to the bottom of the hose, I would pull them off and put them in the bucket. Well, my attention was completely focused on the hose and ice bucket. I was happy with how things were going until I looked behind me and noticed that the 2 gallon little shop vac was now completely full and was spitting all the blood right back out into my garage, it was literally spraying it, all over our shoes, tools, water heater, etc. etc. In a panicked state, I turned around quickly and also got covered in the nastiness, I mean COVERED! I was gagging and trying to get things under control at the same time. The flies were having a hay day, now even more of them, all over the garage!

I had to dump out the shop vac. I didn't know where to dump it, so I figured the best place to do it would be done the kitchen sink. I figured that if I dumped bleach down too, it wouldn't be a big deal. It dumped well, and then I started the process again. The second time I went to dump it the sink decided to clog. The disposal decided to be broke, and all of the nastiness wouldn't go down the drain...AHHH! Now I was covered with blood, my garage was covered with blood, and my house was soon to smell just like my garage did.

Anyways, it was quite the sight if you can imagine. I ended up having to plung the sink, which then got a extremely nice bleach bath, I then got out all of my Lysol products and the whole garage got a good scrub down, each individual tool and shoe included. This took me hours, if you can imagine. Finally, I was done, all the flies were gone, and I was able to shower too. It was awful! When Andy got home I told him and he thought it was HILARIOUS! It is, now that's it's over. Believe me, I've learned my lesson on procrastination. I think the really funny part of it was that night I was craving steak for dinner, go figure, who would of thought after all of that! Funny huh!

10 comments:

Kellie said...

oh my gosh that is disgusting! Great Story - sorry about all the blood, yuck! on another note - go our dads!

Cherene said...

Holy Cow! That is a great story. Gross, but great. :) I'm glad you survived!

Johnna Jayne said...

WOW!!! You are one brave chick. I seriously can't even imagine that. Andy owes you BIG time! He's sooooo lucky he didn't have to do that.

Snyder Family said...

EWWWWIE!!!! Something similar happened to my family when I was a kid...my family raised custom beef so we always had a TON of meat in our deep freezer. We went out of town for the entire summer and my uncle had come over and turned off the electricity to the barn (it was a converted barn-an apartment upstairs and party area down). When we got home nearly 3 months later (!) it was awful! It took us hours to clean and at least a month to get the smell out! There was over $1200 worth of meat in that thing too! I know your pain!

Bobs said...

Nasty! I thought my little elk meat package left in my stroller was bad. I can only imagine!

Par 5 said...

Oh Erica...That is so gross! However, I am almost wishing you posted a picture of your garage post shop vac explosion. :) Anyway, I heard about your dad and his big responsibility...good for him, he'll be great.

Lacey said...

I'm really sorry, but I couldn't help but giggle over your story. It must have been the suckiest thing ever, and I admit, I've never had to clean up something as bad as that! Coudos to you!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

Erica- that is disgusting....I hate freezer/fridge cleaning, yuk. Always glad to have it over with though that is for sure!

Monica said...

Hi Erica!!
I am trying to make those glass ornaments that you made last year with the image of Christ but when I tried to print on a transparency it made a huge huge mess....any tips?? Help, what did I do wrong?

Anonymous said...

That is probably the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. I'm sorry that that happened to you but so funny to picture in my head! I'm sorry about your losses over the holidays. I know from personal experience how hard that can be. You sound like your doing well. Blogging is the BEST therapy!