Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Seek for the Virtues Within


Hi all! It's been awhile since I posted anything. We have a pretty simple life going on right now. My day basically consists of waking up, driving to work, working, driving home from work, hanging out with the husband, and then going to bed. Pretty much everyday that's the schedule. Last week it was a little different on Thursday night. We had Enrichment in our ward. The theme was "Seek for the Virtues Within: You ARE Beautiful!" It was a night filled with sweet sisters testimonies on living up to your potential and also testimonies of visiting teaching. I had the opportunity to gather a bunch of visiting teaching experiences from the women in our ward and we compiled them into a video. I just want to tell what a special experience that was for me. Every home that I visited had the sweetest spirit in it. I was able to listen to these amazing women bare their testimonies. It was so neat to visit with them and feel their love, they are all AMAZING! I was so lucky to get to do that! I also had many sisters send emails to me with their experiences. As I read all of those emails, my eyes were filled with tears, I realized just how important visiting teaching is. What an great organization Relief Society is, it is truly a organization planned by our Heavenly Father. As I was reading all of these experiences, I reflected on my own. The one that stands out to me happened two years ago. I was going through a rough patch in my life, even though I was pretending that I wasn't (that's kind of how I operate!), anyways, my visiting teacher came over and knew everything that I was going through, even though I didn't tell her one thing about it. She was so in tune with the Spirit that she just knew what I needed. She took my hand and helped and comforted me. I will always be so grateful for her for that and since then she has become of of my closest friends. After she left that night, I went up and told Andy what had happened. He was too grateful that I had a friend had taken the time to show how much she cared for me. I hope that the other women in the ward also felt the importance of visiting teaching from this night like I did.

For dinner that night we had salads, Costa Vida style. Yum! A few of you have asked for the recipe for the pork, so I thought that I would just post it here. I got it from my friend Kellie. (Thanks so much, Kell, it was a hit!) Enjoy!

Café Rio Sweet Pork
4 pound pork roast
2 – 15 oz cans tomato sauce
2 cups brown sugar
1 can coke
1 garlic clove, diced
¼ cup cilantro, minced

Cook roast at 275 degrees for 6 hours covered in a pan half filled with water. Shred. Cook 3 more hours in crock pot with the above ingredients.

8 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

I LOVE costa vida's sweet pork salad! I made this pork and it is delicious! That's a really good recipe! I actually put it in tacos instead, but only because I didn't have all the yummy stuff to make the salad! :) Fun to read about your VT enrichment, thanks for sharing!

Johnna Jayne said...

Oooo, I'm so sad I missed that. Sounds like it really was wonderful.

Cherene said...

You guys did such a great job with Enrichment!! Thanks for all the time and effort you put into your calling. And thanks so much for the recipe!! Sweet pork salad is one of my favorite foods (Carson's too), so it'll be great to try to make it myself. :)

Sarah S. said...

I was so sad that I couldn't come. We had family come in from out of town. I always look forward to Enrichment. It sounds like I missed a good one. Bummer!

Loree said...

Erika, It was such a nice night! i was so glad to come and take part in the sweet spirit that was there. Thanks for all your hard work it was beautiful and so are you!!!

Monica said...

Parkwood Ward is THE BEST ward!!! We miss that ward so much!! You are right, the people in that ward have the best spirit!!! I tell Russ that if we ever move back to AZ that I want to move back into that ward!! Sounds like it was great!!

Anonymous said...

You did such an amazing job putting everything together. The spirit was so strong and the message was loud and clear. Thank you so much for all your time and effort into making this a special night for all involved. You rock lady! (btw...i'm totally blog stalking you!)

Par 5 said...

thanks for the guilt trip on the whole visiting teaching thing...
:)